Apple Crumble Cupcakes
Looking for a fall treat? Try these apple crumble cupcakes. Cinnamon and brown sugar combine into a perfect sweet dessert.
IngredientsFor the apple filling:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C
- Line a cupcake tray and set aside
For the apple filling:
- Mix the chopped apple, cinnamon, brown sugar, and salt in a bowl until well combined
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and heat until softened, about 3 minutes
- Set aside and leave to cool
For the cupcake base:
- Browning the butter: melt the butter over medium heat, swirling occasionally. It will start foaming with popping noises. Continue to swirl the pan until brown bits form at the bottom and a nutty aroma develops. Pour into a bowl and leave to cool.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugars, and cinnamon
- To the browned butter, add the milk, eggs, and sour cream
- Add the wet ingredient mixture to the dry and gently mix until just combined. Be careful not to overmix
- Set aside
For the crumble topping:
- In a bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon
- Add the cold butter and rub between your fingers until a crumble forms
- Add a tablespoon of the batter to the bottom of each liner
- Spoon on a tablespoon of the apple filling and spread evenly
- Top the cupcakes with the remaining batter until it’s ⅔ of the way filled
- Spoon on a tablespoon of the crumble and spread evenly
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!